Wednesday 26 March 2014

What would Betty do?

This new book, Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by young author Maya van Wagenen looks like a great read. I'm such a sucker for these old-fashioned etiquette and style guides. I don't usually go quite as far as Ms V-W in putting the tips into action - but I'm willing to give it a go!

I remember my Mum had an old 'how to be beautiful' book from the 1960's - complete with a cover picture of blue eyeshadow and a scary set of false eyelashes - and the one piece of advice I can remember from it was "Never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row".  Now, at the time (I must have been 9 or 10) I think I only had one or two pairs of shoes, so this advice seemed like it came from outer space! I mean, what would I wear to school if I couldn't wear my Clarks school shoes every day?

Clearly, not much has changed. I pretty much do wear the same shoes daily. And they've not changed much either...






See what I mean? They're certainly comfy, but I don't think Betty would approve of a supposed grown-up wearing such ridiculous shoes.

So, in the spirit of Betty Cornell's Teenage Popularity Guide, I'm going to put on actual proper shoes. With heels. And tights. Yup. In the daytime. AND wear them for the rest of the day.

Ready?

*Drumroll....*




Ta-da! What do you think? And what would Betty think?

Well, let me tell you what I learned...

It turns out, changing your shoes is just the beginning. Because you need to put on clothes that go with them, which are inevitably, smarter and nicer than the clothes you can get away with if you just wear your skanky old trainers YET AGAIN. And then you need make-up and accessories. And before you know it,  you're facing the world looking like someone who cares. I found I was standing taller (not just because of the heels!), being more decisive, getting more done.

Just because of shoes? Maybe Betty was on to something after all...

(I'm still not going to wear a girdle, though.)

This post was written for the Penguin Books 'Popular' competition. http://www.penguin.co.uk/editorial/competitions/popular/

No comments:

Post a Comment